Learn How to Sew Clothing | Sewing Class
Do you want to learn how to sew clothes for yourself? Are you looking for a deeply fulfilling creative outlet? Are you sick of the disposable fast fashion industry and want to make your wardrobe more sustainable?
Welcome to the class designed to to teach you everything you need to know to start sewing the wardrobe of your dreams! Spoiler alert: it's not as hard as you think, and the skills and techniques you'll learn in this online workshop will completely transform your closet AND inspire and engage your creativity as you discover the joy of sewing your own clothes from scratch.
Learn How to Sew Clothing is a comprehensive online class that guides you through the entire sewing process and teaches you how to sew clothes from first stitch to finished garment. The first section of the class will walk you through all the key information you need to know to get started. In the second section, we will show you how to construct all three of the garment patterns included with enrollment. You'll develop the skills necessary to sew a modern boxy tee or shift dress, a classic flared skirt, and chic pants or shorts, opening the door to your wildest fashion and sewing dreams. Heather Lou, founder of Closet Core Patterns, teaches each lesson in simple language everyone can understand, so whether you've never sewn a stitch or are simply looking to brush up on your skills, you will feel completely confident sewing and creating a totally unique wardrobe that fills you with pride.
Work at your own pace – anytime, anywhere, on any device – and learn everything you need to know to sew clothing, from the very basics to more advanced techniques.
In this sewing class, you'll learn:
- How to thread and operate a basic home sewing machine.
- How to sew even, straight stitches and troubleshoot problems.
- Professional seam finishes, including gorgeous French and bias bound seams.
- How to choose the right fabrics for your sewing projects.
- How to set-up and stock your sewing space, including the best tools to get the job done.
- How to decipher and easily work with sewing patterns (including how to assemble digital patterns).
- How to take your measurements, choose a size and do basic pattern modifications to get the best fit.
- How to prepare fabric and cut out your pattern with confidence.
- Basic hand-sewing skills for a flawless finish.
- The key skills to construct the three patterns included with the class, including zippers, pockets, facings, waistbands, hems, darts, sleeves, buttons and buttonholes, among many more!
- By the end, you will be able to sew clothes of all kinds!
About the patterns included with this sewing class:
The skills you'll learn in this class will help you sew just about any garment, but we wanted to include three simple-to-make patterns to help get you started. Our Rome Pattern Collection (sizes 0-32) is designed with beginners in mind, and can be mixed and matched endlessly to create a chic, modern capsule wardrobe.
Our Fiore Skirt is a classic A-line skirt with a twist; choose between a simple flared skirt, asymmetrical wrap skirt or a button front option. Our Cielo Top & Dress has a modern, boxy shape with multiple lengths and sleeve options. Finally, our Pietra Pants & Shorts are the comfy but sophisticated stuff of dreams, with a sleek, panelled flat front and elastic in the back for the ultimate in comfort. Whether you make one pattern or all three, by the end of this class you will have the skills to tackle all future sewing projects with confidence. Choose between digital PDF files (sizes 0-32) or print patterns shipped to your home (sizes 0-20). New to using PDF patterns? We have a lesson for that!
Included with enrollment:
- The Fiore Skirt, Pietra Pants & Shorts and Cielo Top & Dress in print or PDF. Our PDF instructions include annotated instruction booklets to help you follow along while watching the class.
- A downloadable guide that accompanies the video content, which includes helpful resources like an anatomy of your sewing machine, sewing machine needle chart, and fabric and terminology cheat sheets.
- A detailed supply guide to help you source fabric and supplies to help you sew clothes.
- Resource lists to additional helpful books and online tutorials.
- Watch anywhere video lessons with optional Closed Captioning.
Sewing Class Curriculum
SECTION ONE: How to Sew Clothes - Sewing Basics
- Lesson One: Understanding Your Sewing Machine (40:06)
- Lesson Two: Your Sewing Space & Tool Kit (49:52)
- Lesson Three: How to Sew (38:29)
- Lesson Four: Basic Stitches, Techniques & Seam finishes (53:46)
- Lesson Five: Understanding Fabric & Interfacing (30:05)
- Lesson Six: Understanding Sewing Patterns (22:52)
- Lesson Seven: Choosing a Size & Basic Fitting (29:59)
- Lesson Eight: How to Cut Fabric (37:38)
- Lesson Nine: Handsewing (12:49)
SECTION TWO: Sewing the Patterns Included in Class
- Sewing the Fiore Skirt (105:25)
- Sewing the Cielo Top & Dress (94:38)
- Sewing the Pietra Pants & Shorts (46:58)
- Self-paced lessons mean you decide when the class begins and ends, and how many times you watch it over and over again
- Helpful tips, techniques, and methods for making your own clothes from an industry expert
- Acquire sewing skills that are transferrable and can be built upon in future sewing projects
- Get additional help! You can always count on a response from Heather when you leave a comment or question in the lesson
- All videos include closed captions
Meet Your Instructor
Heather Lou is the force behind Closet Core Patterns and Core Fabrics. As a pattern designer and sewing educator, she has been writing and teaching about sewing for over a decade, and has taught thousands of people to sew, both online and in sold-out sewing workshops across North America & Europe. Her work has been featured in Threads, Sew News, Seamwork, Love Sewing and Sewing World magazine.
With her contagiously positive attitude, Heather’s teaching style is fun, approachable, and filled with helpful tips and techniques to help you transform the outfits in your imagination into a self-made wardrobe you love — not one you’re limited to buying off the rack.
Sewing isn't just a tremendously fulfilling hobby - it's a gateway to loving body acceptance, creative superpowers you never knew existed, and a soothing, mindful practice that helps you escape the ceaseless parade of fast fashion.
Learning to sew will — seriously — change your life.
Frequently Asked Questions
This class is unbelievable. When I started I literally only knew how to threat my machine. By the end I had made so many pieces I was proud of! Now I watch design shows and giggle when people don’t know how to sew a French seem! The class focuses on practical skills and knowledge that can get you seeing clothes quickly! If you’re debating this.. don’t! Just take it and be amazed!
I thoroughly enjoyed the Learn how to sew class! Heather is a phenomenal teacher; her lessons are clear, engaging and inspiring. She instilled the confidence and the knowledge I needed to begin my sewing journey. I love the patterns included in the course and I see myself making many versions of these garments as they are so classic and wearable. I will be back for more classes for sure!
I really love this class. I love that the classes are a series of videos you can watch anytime, work at your own pace. I don't have a lot of extra time so this is perfect. I've been sewing a little for a long time, but never apparel. Mostly mending and making things with quilting cotton. Nothing fancy. I have really learned so much. I have not finished the class yet, I've finished 2 of the 3 patterns that come with the class. Also, every time I've posted a question or comment an instructor has responded within a 24 hour period. Fantastic and so much fun. Just wish I could do this all day.
I hadn't sewn anything in over 20 years. Thought this class would be the perfect refresher and way to update techniques learned way back in junior high -- and it is :) Love the step-by-step structure (and the doggy).
I have attempted to sew for years but never made clothing I actually wanted to wear. I stumbled on this class in an internet search after deciding I needed some help learning to sew. This class was so thoughtfully put together. Heather makes things clear, and she is enjoyable to listen to. I made both views of Pietra pants and the long and short sleeve Cielo tops, and wear all of them proudly! Closet Core patterns are so well drafted. I have since made the Core tee shirt and just finished a muslin of the Elodi dress. This website has a wealth of information and just reading though the comments and questions is a learning experience. I am loving this re-found hobby. Thank You!
Before you start sewing anything, you should really thing about enrolling in this sewing class. You will save yourself so much time! I love the patterns included and i feel the styles would probably suit anyone. I'm sure you will be charmed by Heather ( the owner & teacher) who makes the classes frendly and fun! Can't wait to learn how to make lingerie, jeans and blazers with her 🙂