Learn How to Sew Clothing | Sewing Class
Do you want to learn how to make beautiful, unique clothing for yourself? Are you looking for a deeply fulfilling creative outlet? Are you sick of the disposable fast fashion industry and want to make your wardrobe more sustainable?
Welcome to the class designed to to teach you everything you need to know to start sewing the wardrobe of your dreams! Spoiler alert: it's not as hard as you think, and the skills and techniques you'll learn in this online workshop will completely transform your closet AND inspire and engage your creativity as you discover the joy of sewing your own clothing from scratch.
Learn How to Sew Clothing is a comprehensive online class that guides you through the entire sewing process. The first section of the class will walk you through all the key information you need to know to get started. In the second section, we will show you how to construct all three of the garment patterns included with enrollment. You'll develop the skills necessary to sew a modern boxy tee or shift dress, a classic flared skirt, and chic pants or shorts, opening the door to your wildest fashion and sewing dreams. Heather Lou, founder of Closet Core Patterns, teaches each lesson in simple language everyone can understand, so whether you've never sewn a stitch or are simply looking to brush up on your skills, you will feel completely confident sewing and creating a totally unique wardrobe that fills you with pride.
Work at your own pace – anytime, anywhere, on any device – and learn everything you need to know to sew clothing, from the very basics to more advanced techniques.
In this class, you'll learn:
- How to thread and operate a basic home sewing machine.
- How to sew even, straight stitches and troubleshoot problems.
- Professional seam finishes, including gorgeous French and bias bound seams.
- How to choose the right fabrics for your sewing projects.
- How to set-up and stock your sewing space, including the best tools to get the job done.
- How to decipher and easily work with sewing patterns (including how to assemble digital patterns).
- How to take your measurements, choose a size and do basic pattern modifications to get the best fit.
- How to prepare fabric and cut out your pattern with confidence.
- Basic hand-sewing skills for a flawless finish.
- The key skills to construct the three patterns included with the class, including zippers, pockets, facings, waistbands, hems, darts, sleeves, buttons and buttonholes, among many more!
About the patterns included with this class:
The skills you will learn in this class will help you sew any pattern from any company you desire, but we wanted to include three simple-to-make patterns to help get you started. Our Rome Pattern Collection is designed for beginners in mind, designed to be mixed and matched endlessly to create a chic, modern capsule wardrobe, and comes in sizes 0-32.
Our Fiore Skirt is a classic A-line skirt with a twist; choose between a simple flared skirt, elegant asymmetrical wrap or picnic worthy button front option. Our Cielo Top & Dress has a modern, boxy shape with multiple lengths and sleeve options. Finally, our Pietra Pants & Shorts are the comfy but sophisticated stuff of dreams, with a sleek, panelled flat front and elastic waist in the back for the ultimate in comfort. Whether you make one pattern or all three, by the end of this class you will have the skills to tackle future sewing projects with ease. Choose between digital PDF files (sizes 0-32) or print patterns shipped to your home (sizes 0-20). New to using PDF patterns? We have a lesson for that!
Included with enrollment:
- The Fiore Skirt, Pietra Pants & Shorts and Cielo Top & Dress in print or PDF. Our PDF instructions include annotated instruction booklets to help you follow along while watching the class.
- A downloadable guide that accompanies the video content, which includes helpful resources like an anatomy of your sewing machine, sewing machine needle chart, and fabric and terminology cheat sheets.
- A detailed supply guide to help you source fabric and supplies.
- Resource lists to additional helpful books and online tutorials.
- Watch anywhere video lessons with optional Closed Captioning.
SECTION ONE: Sewing Basics
- Lesson One: Understanding Your Sewing Machine (40:06)
- Lesson Two: Your Sewing Space & Tool Kit (49:52)
- Lesson Three: How to Sew (38:29)
- Lesson Four: Basic Stitches, Techniques & Seam finishes (53:46)
- Lesson Five: Understanding Fabric & Interfacing (30:05)
- Lesson Six: Understanding Sewing Patterns (22:52)
- Lesson Seven: Choosing a Size & Basic Fitting (29:59)
- Lesson Eight: How to Cut Fabric (37:38)
- Lesson Nine: Handsewing (12:49)
SECTION TWO: Sewing the Patterns Included in Class
- Sewing the Fiore Skirt (105:25)
- Sewing the Cielo Top & Dress (94:38)
- Sewing the Pietra Pants & Shorts (46:58)
- Self-paced lessons mean you decide when the class begins and ends, and how many times you watch it over and over again.
- Helpful tips, techniques, and methods for making your own clothes from an industry expert.
- Acquire sewing skills that are transferrable and can be built upon in future sewing projects.
- Get additional help! You can always count on a response from Heather when you leave a comment or question in the lesson.
- All videos include closed captions.
Meet Your Instructor
Heather Lou is a pattern designer and sewing educator for the modern maker. As the force behind Closet Core Patterns, she has been writing about sewing for almost ten years, and has taught thousands of people to sew, both online and in her sold-out sewing workshops across North America & Europe. Her work has been featured in Threads, Sew News, Seamwork, Love Sewing and Sewing World magazine.
With her contagiously positive attitude, Heather’s teaching style is fun and filled with helpful tips and techniques to help you transform the outfits in your imagination into a self-made wardrobe you love — not one you’re limited to buying off the rack.
Sewing isn't just a tremendously fulfilling hobby - it's a gateway to loving body acceptance, creative superpowers you never knew existed, and a soothing, mindful practice that helps you escape the ceaseless parade of fast fashion.
Learning to sew will — seriously — change your life.
Frequently Asked Questions
This series has taken my skills and interest in sewing to a new level. The videos provide great support for some great sewing patterns. The digital pdf patterns are well planned and easy to put together. The resulting garments are stylish and fit well. Very pleased with Closet Core.
I started my sewing journey earlier this year. Outside of middle school sewing classes and 2 or 3 basic home dec projects 25+ years ago, I had no experience. Currently, I have watched and practiced the various techniques presented in Section One: Sewing Basics. I have also made one view each for both the Fiore Skirt (view C) and Cielo Top (view B). I learn best through a combination of written and visual instruction and this course has delivered this perfectly. I was a little nervous about the course not having full sewing tutorials for the patterns, but found that it was better for me that it didn't. Because of this, I was encouraged to think things through and refer back to the notes that I had taken when going through Section One. However, it seemed that each time that I was confused or uncertain about a step in the pattern, there was a video that cleared things up for me - just the right amount of hand holding. I believe that I am easily six to nine months further along, in terms of skill level, than I would have been had I not enrolled in the course. I am truly amazed at some of the techniques that I have successfully maneuvered as a beginner through this course and have used these techniques in other sewing makes. Another plus is that I actually want to wear my Closet Core makes. The patterns are very on-trend. I looking forward to starting the Pietra Pants for my next make and hope that Closet Core continues to expand their offerings of courses and tutorials.
Initially I was just planning on purchasing the PDF pattern of the Pietro Pants, but when I discovered the e-course which included the Rome Pattern Collection, I took the plunge - and WOW, was I in for an absolute delight!!! For me (as an intermediate beginner) this course not only assisted me in brushing up on my sewing skills, there was also plenty of valuable takeaways, tricks, tips and inspiration inside! This course absolutely boosted my confidence so much so, that I’m planning on taking the Sew your Dream Jeans e-course next, and of course continuing purchasing more Closet Core Patterns in the future! Congratulations to Heather and her team for their exceptional work!!! You now have a new fan and follower from Vienna, Austria!
I took this asynchronous course as a way to develop a hobby during the pandemic. My previous experience was very minimal- I had a vague sense of threading a machine and had sewn some straight lines, but never had worked with a pattern or made tailored garments before. The clarity, detail, and extensiveness of the class had me feeling that it would be a great course for total beginners up through intermediate level. The patterns that accompany the course are fabulously drafted, and I felt amazing after making my first pair of poetry pants (something that seemed too intimidating prior to class). I have taken skills from this class forward into making all sorts of clothes for myself and others, and frequently come back to the materials from this course, especially the pants fitting guide that has been a lifesaver when interpreting the mysteries of draglines. Highly recommend!
I purchased the Learn to Sew Clothing Class which included 3 patterns and lots of video instructions to actually make the three projects. I’ve made 6 versions of the Pietra Pants trying to get a perfect fit - which I’m happy to say I accomplished! I’ve also made the Cielo top a few times. Each time I sew these patterns, I re-watch the videos which are incredibly helpful! I loved the entire class, I love my new clothes, and I feel great about the sewing skills I’ve learned!
I really haven’t given it the full view yet…life happens. Now that fall is here and winter coming soon, I’m sure I will have more time to explore.