Sew Your Dream Swimsuit | Sewing Class
Do you want to sew your own swimsuit but are scared to get started? Do you struggle to find beautiful, supportive swimwear that actually fits? Are you ready to power-up your sewing skills?
If any of this sounds familiar, this workshop will give you the skills and confidence to make the swimsuit you've been searching for! Sew Your Dream Swimsuit: The Supportive Swimwear Workshop will walk you through swimsuit construction from start to finish through eleven detailed lessons using the Sophie Swimsuit pattern (PDF pattern included for free with the workshop!) Using a regular sewing machine, you'll learn to sew with swim knit fabrics, insert elastic, and learn valuable bra-making skills you can apply to other projects! Heather Lou, founder of Closet Core Patterns, teaches each lesson in simple language everyone can understand, so you will feel completely confident unleashing your inner swimwear designer!
Quit being scared of your sewing machine. Stretch fabric is not your enemy and a beautiful handmade swimsuit is only a few hours away.
Here's What You'll Learn
- How to assemble a swimsuit using a regular sewing machine or serger
- Working with swimsuit lycra
- The best techniques and stitches for swimsuit construction
- Where to source the best bra making and swim supplies
- How to insert elastic for swimsuits that move with you
- How to make a perfectly supportive foam cup
- Insert underwire and channeling for the ultimate in breast support
- Fit your suit to perfection - learn how to grade between sizes, sew a sample test cup, and make cups that were fit just for you
- Personalize and hack your swimsuit so you can be your own personal swimwear designer!
Your class includes a PDF copy of the Sophie Swimsuit pattern. With curvy seam lines and a 3-piece balconette cup, the Sophie swimsuit is both va-va-voom flattering and reassuringly supportive, a silhouette equally appropriate in the south of France or the neighborhood pool. The pattern comes in sizes 0-20, with 5 cup options per size.
View A is a classic one-piece with a pronounced hourglass shape and skinny elastic straps. View B mixes a bra-style halter tied top with an elegant high waisted bikini bottom. With a low cut leg and a full cup, both offer sexily modest coverage. Tap into your inner designer by playing with contrast fabric and colour blocking, and learn how to add optional underwires and foam cups to make the most supportive swimsuit ever!
- Lesson One: Swimsuit Materials & Supplies (19:20)
- Lesson Two: Finding Your Size and Sewing a Sample Cup (17:35)
- Lesson Three: Personalizing and Modifying the pattern (12:25)
- Lesson Four: Cutting Fabric (15:01)
- Lesson Five: Seam Finishes for Swim Fabrics (7:54)
- Lesson Six: Assembling Cups (27:52)
- Lesson Seven: Assembling View B Band & Bikini Bottom (22:58)
- Lesson Eight: Assembling View A Body (20:13)
- Lesson Nine: Inserting Leg Elastic (25:24)
- Lesson Ten: Sewing in Cups & Finishing Bust (42:04)
- Lesson Eleven: Assembling Straps & Finishing Swimsuit (20:06)
- Learn anytime, on any device, with unlimited access.
- All videos include closed captions.
- Self-paced lessons mean you decide when the class begins and ends, and how many times you watch it over again.
- Helpful tips, techniques, and methods for making your own swimsuit from a noteworthy sewing professional.
- Acquire sewing skills that are transferrable and can be built upon in future sewing projects.
- Get additional help! You can always count on a response from Heather when you leave a comment or question in the lesson.
Meet Your Instructor
Heather Lou is the force behind Closet Core Patterns and Core Fabrics. As a pattern designer and sewing educator, she has been writing and teaching about sewing for over a decade, and has taught thousands of people to sew, both online and in sold-out sewing workshops across North America & Europe. Her work has been featured in Threads, Sew News, Seamwork, Love Sewing and Sewing World magazine.
With her contagiously positive attitude, Heather’s teaching style is fun, approachable, and filled with helpful tips and techniques to help you transform the outfits in your imagination into a self-made wardrobe you love — not one you’re limited to buying off the rack.
"I made my first swimsuit using this class I was pretty nervous about swimwear, especially putting in an underwire, but the class made it so easy to understand. I'm super proud of my finished swimsuit, and I've gotten a ton of compliments on it!"
Frequently Asked Questions
Ready to start but I haven’t received the patterns to down load and sent a message and haven’t heard from anyone:(
I really enjoyed this course, how everything is explained and the swimsuit that I was able to make! I would definitely recommend it!
I took 3 sewing classes (Basic clothing, Jacket and swimsuit) with Closetcore Pattern - I enjoyed all of them and learned a lot. Highly recommended!
This class was so great I ended up making three swim suits, two of the two piece and one full suit. I used the class each time and they turned out fantastic. This course took the fear of sewing swim suit fabric away. Great class and would recommend it to anyone wanting to sew their own swim wear.
I would have never found the confidence to try my hand at sewing a swimsuit without this instruction. It felt like a one-on-one class, which is great when working with new materials and learning new techniques.
I just wish I went swimming more so it would make sense to sew up a bunch of swimwear.
I've long wanted to make my own swimsuits and bras but was daunted at the prospect. Underwires, elastic, small seam allowances, stretch fabric - it all seemed too hard to tackle without assistance. Taking this course equipped me with the knowledge and skills to tackle swimsuit and lingerie projects and after completing my first Sophie Swimsuit, I have not looked back. Heather's pep talks and positive attitude inspired me to really step up my sewing game.