The Ultimate Shirtmaking Workshop!
Learn to Sew Button-Up Shirts | Sewing Class
CHOOSE YOUR PATTERN:
Includes your choice of shirt pattern in PDF or print format:
Jenna Shirt + Shirtdress and/or Kalle Shirt + Shirtdress.
Learn to Sew Button-Up Shirts | Sewing Class
Are you ready to sew a closet full of beautiful button-up shirts, learn professional shirtmaking techniques and tips, and push your sewing practice to the next level?
If you love making your own clothes but feel a little intimidated when it comes to sewing button-up and button-down shirts, this class is here to help with the support and guidance you need! Following along with our step-by-step video lessons, you'll learn everything you need to know to construct a perfectly made shirt from start to finish, using our time-tested techniques and tips for getting beautiful and professional looking results.
Using your choice of two detail-rich shirt patterns (with skills you can apply to any commercial pattern, regardless of gender), Heather Lou of Closet Core Patterns teaches each lesson in simple language everyone can understand, so both advanced and novice sewists alike will feel confident creating beautiful, custom-made shirts from the comfort of their own home.
Work at your own pace – anytime, anywhere, on any device – and learn how to sew a wide variety of button-up shirts from a respected sewing industry expert using nothing but a straight stitch and a standard sewing machine!
View the Trailer:
- How to source the right shirtmaking fabrics, interfacings, notions + tools
- How to modify and adjust patterns to add unique design details for one-of-a-kind shirts
- How to sew a variety of shirt placket styles, from classic to more advanced varieties like hidden button plackets, and popover or tunic plackets
- How to sew a variety of professional looking collars, along with a professional tailor's trick for getting super sharp collar points
- How to sew perfect sleeves and cuffs, with detailed instructions on how to sew the tricky tower cuff placket with absolute confidence
- Professional seam finishes that can be entirely sewn on a regular sewing machine with only a straight stitch
- How to topstitch like a pro
- How to finish up your project with beautiful hems and gorgeous buttons and buttonholes
While you can use just about any shirt pattern while sewing along with this class (including men's shirts and patterns from other companies), we've included two beautiful and versatile patterns with enrolment. Choose between:
- Jenna Shirt + Shirtdress, our latest shirt pattern that can be made as a classic shirt, cropped shirt, or shirtdress. Features a long sleeve + tower placket and is available in PDF format and print format in sizes XXS-4X
- Kalle Shirt + Shirtdress, a modern shirt design with a cut-on sleeve, sleeve cuff and variety of placket and collar styles. Available in PDF format (sizes 0-32) and print format (sizes 0-20 only). Please note we will also include the Kalle long sleeve PDF pattern expansion for free when you choose Kalle with this class!
Print patterns will be shipped directly to you. For instant gratification, choose a PDF pattern; see our guide to printing and assembling PDF patterns here.
Jenna Shirt (sizes XXS-4X)
Kalle Shirt (sizes 0-32)
- Access to our private students-only forum where you can ask for help, share your progress and meet new sewing friends
- One-on-one advice and help when you need it! You can always count on a response from our team when you have questions or need support while sewing along with our classes.
- Downloadable shirt fitting ebook to help you diagnose common fitting issues
- Bonus pattern pieces to allow you to add a tunic or hidden button placket to the Jenna shirt, or add a long sleeve with cuff to the Kalle shirt
- Watch anywhere video lessons with closed captioning
Meet Your Instructor
Heather Lou is the force behind Closet Core Patterns and Core Fabrics. As a pattern designer and sewing educator, she has been writing and teaching about sewing for over a decade, and has taught thousands of people to sew, both online and in sold-out sewing workshops across North America & Europe. Her work has been featured in Threads, Sew News, Seamwork, Love Sewing and Sewing World magazine.
With her contagiously positive attitude, Heather’s teaching style is fun, approachable, and filled with helpful tips and techniques to help you transform the outfits in your imagination into a self-made wardrobe you love — not one you’re limited to buying off the rack.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm psyched about making my own shirts! How do I get started?
To get sewing, choose your pattern and pattern format at the top of this page to add the class to your cart. Once you check out, you'll be automatically enrolled in your class on our class platform called Mighty Networks. The link to login to the class will be sent to you via email. If you've chosen a PDF pattern, you can download your pattern immediately after checkout or from a link in your order confirmation email. Please check your spam folder if you don't receive it after finalizing your purchase.
When does this class start and finish?
The beauty of Closet Core Patterns’ online classes is that you call the shots on when they begin and end. Learn to Sew Shirts is a completely self-paced online class, which means you get to decide when you start, when you finish, and how many times you replay it.
What will I need to get started?
In the class we’ll share a complete supply list, along with information about where and how to source everything on said list. At the very least, you’ll need a sewing machine, iron, shirt fabric, interfacing, buttons, thread, and marking tool.
How long does the class take to complete?
It’s up to you! To give you an idea of how long the class is start to finish, the video runs just over 5 hours long and comprises 10 lessons total. Since we cover the construction of multiple patterns, you'll be able to skip around to relevant sections for you. Binge watch them in a weekend, or do a little at a time. You can return to the class as many times as you’d like, and there’s no time limit for you to complete in.
How do I get my patterns?
You can choose your pattern in either a PDF format (which you can print at home or at a copy shop) or print patterns we'll ship directly to you. If you select the PDF format, you'll be able to download your patterns immediately after checkout, or by using the download link sent to you via email. Print patterns will be shipped in 5-10 days.
Can I use any shirt pattern for this class?
This class focuses on construction and technique, and while we use Closet Core patterns to demonstrate on camera, you can follow along using absolutely any shirt pattern you prefer, including a men's pattern.
How long can I access the class?
All day, ‘erryday. But for real, this class includes lifetime access. After you enroll, the class is yours, which means you’ve got unlimited access for as long as you like, across all devices for all of eternity.
No more products available for purchase
Let customers speak for us2308 reviews
Matches the fabric perfrct
Stunning fabric, the outfit is going to beautiful. Thank you
This is one of my favorite fabrics to sew and wear, and this ponte is superior to many others. After wearing my new Onyx pants yesterday, there was no bagging at the knees and the fabric is very comfortable next to my skin.
I purchased the kit to make the onyx pants. The order included the right yardage and elastic to make the pants. I love the feel of the fabric - soft with good stretch and recovery. The onyx pattern is exactly what I have been looking for. I have already made three pair. They can be dressed up or down. Great pattern!!
First time sewing with a wool knit. It was so easy. Made a lovely funnel neck short tunic style shirt. The color was suttle but distinct and it is so warm....great for PNW weather!
Amazing hand and beautiful drape.