Learn to Sew a Classic Blazer | Sewing Class
Are you curious about tailoring but don't know where to begin? Do you want to grow and expand your skillset and push your sewing practice to the next level?
Welcome to the class designed to demystify the fine art of speed tailoring! Spoiler alert: it's not as hard as you think, and the skills and techniques you'll learn will truly level up your entire sewing practice. That high-end blazer you've always wanted is just a few hours away, only this time it's constructed and fit for your exact body, using professional, industry-level techniques and secrets.
Learn to Sew a Classic Blazer is a comprehensive online class that guides you through the process of sourcing, stitching and finishing your own custom made blazer using modern speed tailoring techniques. No need for pad stitching or fiddly sew-in interfacings - you'll learn how to use fusible interfacings to quickly add structure and shape to a blazer that will fit like it was made for you (because it was!)
By following along using the included Jasika Blazer pattern (although the skills and techniques can be applied to any blazer pattern), Heather Lou of Closet Core Patterns teaches each lesson in simple language everyone can understand, so both advanced and novice sewists alike will feel confident creating beautiful, custom-made blazers from the comfort of their own home.
Work at your own pace – anytime, anywhere, on any device – and learn the ins and outs of creating structure with readily available and easy to apply fusible interfacings, along with industry level speed tailoring techniques & skills you'll use forever.
In this class you'll learn...
- Where to source beautiful tailoring fabrics, interfacings and all necessary supplies.
- How to find the perfect size for your body, grade in-between sizes and make a test muslin.
- Basic jacket fitting, with an in-depth downloadable ebook to help you identify and solve any potential fit issues.
- Best methods for prepping, marking and cutting fabric and interfacings.
- How to create structure and dimension in a tailored jacket using fusible interfacings you can apply at home with a regular iron.
- Two different styles of welt pockets.
- How to confidently sew a gorgeous notched collar that rolls beautifully at the lapel.
- Classic hand-stitching techniques for a truly flawless finish.
- How to sew and set-in a beautifully fitting two piece sleeve.
- How to insert sleeveheads and shoulder pads for professional-looking results (including free patterns for both!)
- Tips for adding painless and professional-looking details like buttonholes, buttons and topstitching.
- Industry techniques like how to quickly bag a coat lining with a minimum of handstitching.
About the pattern included with this class
While you can use any pattern to follow along (including patterns for men, since the skills are the same), we have created an exclusive jacket pattern for you to use in this workshop, the Jasika Blazer. Featuring all the landmark details of a classic blazer, it has a timeless, semi-fitted silhouette with lots of opportunity for customization, and can easily go from casual to formal depending on fabric choice.
Choose the format of your pattern; print patterns will be shipped directly to you, while an instant gratification PDF can be printed at home or a local copy shop. See our guide to printing and assembling PDF patterns here.
- A comprehensive Blazer Fitting Ebook to help you diagnose dozens of common fitting issues, along with instructions on how to assess fit, how to make a muslin and a Blazer Fitting Checklist to print and use while fitting your jacket.
- Printable cutting list to help you keep track of pattern pieces.
- Detailed supply guide to help you source fabric and supplies.
- Free patterns for sleeveheads and shoulder pads.
- Watch anywhere video lessons with closed captioning.
- Introduction (11:58)
- Lesson One: Fabric & Supplies (27:26)
- Lesson Two: Choosing a Size, Fitting & Making a Muslin (18:20)
- Lesson Three: Fabric Cutting & Prep (26:01)
- Lesson Four: Preparing the Front Jacket (39:05)
- Lesson Five: Sewing Side Seams & Double Welt Pockets (33:59)
- Lesson Six: Assembling Back & Body (21:21)
- Lesson Seven: Assembling Collars & Lapel Facing (36:31)
- Lesson Eight: Sewing & Pressing Lapel (35:17)
- Lesson Nine: Sewing & Setting in Sleeves (25:50)
- Lesson Ten: Inserting Shoulder Pads & Sleeveheads (10:14)
- Lesson Eleven: Assembling Lining (10:27)
- Lesson Twelve: Lining the Jacket (33:36)
- Lesson Thirteen: Finishing Touches + Conclusion (26:18)
- Learn anytime, on any device, with unlimited access.
- All videos include closed captions.
- Self-paced lessons mean you decide when the class begins and ends, and how many times you watch it over again.
- Helpful tips, techniques, and methods for making your own blazer from an industry professional
- Acquire sewing skills that are transferrable and can be built upon in future sewing projects.
- Get additional help! You can always count on a response from Heather when you leave a comment or question in the lesson.
Meet Your Instructor
Heather Lou is a pattern designer and sewing educator for the modern maker. As the force behind Closet Core Patterns, she has been writing about sewing for almost ten years, and has taught thousands of people to sew, both online and in her sold-out sewing workshops across North America & Europe. Her work has been featured in Threads, Sew News, Seamwork, Love Sewing and Sewing World magazine.
With her contagiously positive attitude, Heather’s teaching style is fun and filled with helpful tips and techniques to help you transform the outfits in your imagination into a self-made wardrobe you love — not one you’re limited to buying off the rack.
"This class was amazing, I never would have attempted something like this before, but having Heather Lou talking me through every step made it possible. I cannot express how proud of myself I felt when I finished my blazer!"
Frequently Asked Questions
Superb course. Fully explained and demonstrated. I will feel confident to try my first jacket. Being able to get the relevant notions as well, will make this so much easier. Very happy with this.
I've been sewing for over 25 years so I rarely feel the need for this kind of thing. The Blazer was intimidating though, so I went for it. I'm so glad I did! I watched about half the classes before I started my jacket. I'm through making the fronts, so far so good! I really think I got a lot of confidence and skills from watching the lessons and thinking through the steps ahead of time.
I am so thrilled with my finished blazer. I followed Heather Lou's on line tutorial faithfully and it is thanks to that, that I have got a great result. It was Heather Lou's blog that said not to be afraid to attempt scary things that got me started. Thank you so much,
A superb online course that helped me sew my first blazer. And thanks to the amazing instructions, it turned out perfect enough to wear it to work! For anyone who wants to get started with sewing their own blazer, this course is a great step by step sew-along with lots of helpful tips and tricks along the way.
I never realised there are so many intricate parts to making a blazer! This course is PACKED with loads of information, tips and tricks - not only applicable to blazer-making but also sewing in general. I was amazed at the quality of the finished garment considering I am a beginner sewer - this is all thanks to the very detailed and easy to follow step-by-step approach. At no point did I feel overwhelmed or lost - I could simply pause, rewind, replay and follow at my own pace until I felt comfortable to take the next step in the process. I definitely recommend this course!
Love love loved the experience making Jasika Blazer with the sewalong videos