Sew Your Dream Jeans | Sewing Class
Do you want to learn how to sew a pair of jeans? Have you made off-the-rack jeans your sworn enemy because you can never find a pair that fit? Scared to get started because sewing jeans just seems too hard?
If you find yourself nodding along, look no further. Our Sew Your Dream Jeans Workshop will give you the tools, techniques and confidence to design, sew, and wear your very own custom pair of jeans. Like a boss.
Welcome to the ultimate jean-making class! Here’s a secret that’s bound to change everything: jeans are not the enemy, and learning how to sew jeans - no matter your skill level - isn’t that hard. Plus, DIY-ing your denim is way more fun than trying on a few hundred pairs in a tiny dressing room, only to find one that kinda-sorta fits your body. Skip the hassle of one-style-fits-all jeans and fill your wardrobe with professional, handmade denim that polishes your sewing skills and celebrates your best assets. We’ve condensed every detail we've ever learned about the process of making jeans into this in-depth, easy to follow workshop that we know you’ll love!
Work at your own pace – anytime, anywhere, on any device – and learn how to sew jeans on a standard sewing machine, including fitting, sourcing denim and supplies, and professional construction methods that make your jeans look like they were made for you – because they were.
In Sew Your Dream Jeans, you'll learn...
- How to shop for and source beautiful denim and all the necessary jean-making supplies.
- How to find the perfect size for your body, and grade in-between size.
- Basic pants & jeans fitting, with examples shown on a live model and all major adjustments demonstrated on camera.
- How to prep denim and cut it to prevent ‘leg twist’.
- Sewing techniques for the most durable denim seams, using a regular sewing machine or serger.
- Tips for painless and professional-looking topstitching.
- Two different pocket styles, including the ultra-flattering, tummy-tucking pocket stay.
- How to confidently sew a fly front zipper and button fly.
- Methods to install jeans buttons and rivets at home, without requiring special equipment.
- Sewing methods that include a comfortable, sturdy waistband without awkward gaping.
- How to place back pockets that accentuate your best assets.
- How to sew jeans from start to finish!
While you can use any jeans pattern while sewing along with this course (including men's jeans and patterns from other companies), we've included all of our best-selling jeans patterns with enrolment. Choose between:
- The original Ginger Skinny Jeans with high or low rise (sizes 0-32 in PDF, sizes 0-20 in print)
- Ginger Mid-Rise Jeans (sizes 0-20, PDF only)
- Morgan Boyfriend Jeans for non-stretch denim (sizes 0-20, print or PDF)
Can't decide which pattern to choose? You can also bundle all 3 PDF patterns with your enrolment.
Print patterns will be shipped directly to you. For instant gratification, choose a PDF pattern; see our guide to printing and assembling PDF patterns here.
- Printable cutting list to help you keep track of pattern pieces and fit adjustments.
- Comprehensive sourcing guide for all your jean-making needs.
- Downloadable jeans & pants fitting guide to help you diagnose common fitting issues.
- Printable resource of over 30 back pocket designs to help you personalize your dream jeans.
- Watch anywhere video lessons with closed captioning.
- Introduction (3:44)
- Lesson One: Sourcing Fabric & Supplies (14:16)
- Lesson Two: Choosing a Size & Grading Between Sizes (10:29)
- Lesson Three: Prepping & Cutting Denim(14:50)
- Lesson Four: Basting a Test Pair & Jeans Fitting (21:35)
- Lesson Five: Jeans Sewing Techniques (16:08)
- Lesson Six: Assembling Front Pockets (25:04)
- Lesson Seven: Assembling a Fly Front Zipper (40:24)
- Lesson Eight: Installing a Button Fly (23:00)
- Lesson Nine: Assembling the Back Legs (16:20)
- Lesson Ten: Sewing the Side Seams (17:49)
- Lesson Eleven: Sewing the Waistband & Installing a Jeans Button (32:19)
- Lesson Twelve: Sewing the Back Pockets (17:16)
- Lesson Thirteen: Sewing Belt Loops, Hems & Installing Rivets (17:54)
- Conclusion (0:46)
- Learn anytime, on any device, with unlimited access.
- All videos include closed captions.
- Self-paced lessons mean you decide when the class begins and ends, and how many times you watch it over and over again.
- Helpful tips, techniques, and methods for making your own jeans from an industry expert who has taught thousands of students.
- Acquire sewing skills that are transferrable and can be built upon in future sewing projects.
- Get additional help! You can always count on a response from us when you leave a comment or question in the lesson.
Meet Your Instructor
Heather Lou is the force behind Closet Core Patterns and Core Fabrics. As a pattern designer and sewing educator, she has been writing and teaching about sewing for over a decade, and has taught thousands of people to sew, both online and in sold-out sewing workshops across North America & Europe. Her work has been featured in Threads, Sew News, Seamwork, Love Sewing and Sewing World magazine.
With her contagiously positive attitude, Heather’s teaching style is fun, approachable, and filled with helpful tips and techniques to help you transform the outfits in your imagination into a self-made wardrobe you love — not one you’re limited to buying off the rack.
"This is the most AMAZING class - I felt like Heather was in my sewing space with me (she was, digitally!), totally guiding me through the entire jeans making process. Could not recommend this enough! Thank you!" - Kristie
Frequently Asked Questions
Learned a lot. About jean construction and all sorts of tips and tricks. Really practical and great pace.
My purchase of this course was worth the money. I was happy with my first pair of Ginger Jeans and I don't think I would have had the same result without the course. My issues with the course are a bit nitpicky. I very much liked the class but I felt a couple things could improve. My primary issue was with the shaky camera work when showing close ups of the actual sewing portions of the course. I found it distracting. Also the instructor, Heather Lou, appears to be in a bit of a rush in the videos. This wasn't a problem since I could rewatch or pause the video, but it seemed a little odd. Other than that, it was a really good class and I will be purchasing the other courses when I start those projects.
Very good pattern abd the video course was excellent.
Très instructif, extrêmement bien démontré et expliqué. J’ai beaucoup apprécié la philosophie du prof qui nous encourage à nous lancer dans ce projet et à être fière de nous malgré les imperfections qui sont inévitables (et vraiment pas si graves). A mon tour de me lancer!
I was so happy I found this! I have experience sewing but I’m not very polished. I was looking for a denim tutorial for awhile because I have been wanting to rework some thrifted men’s denim Wrangler/Levis. I was able to successfully rework them to my size and they fit great! Couldn’t have done it without this tutorial!
I did feel like running out to show everyone I made jeans ! this course is so worth it. I watched each video many times. Everything is very well explained. I learned many new tricks. I have been sewing for many years but did very few pairs of pants because I didn't think I could get the fitting right. That course changed all that, It made me confident I can do the adjustments and get right fit. I really liked the explanations on how to try on and examine the lines, what is ok and what can be fixed. I am really proud of my Ginger jeans and I am looking forward to making the Morgan.