Kelly Anorak Jacket Pattern
Fabric and Supplies
Choose medium to heavyweight woven fabrics such as twill, canvas, denim and linen. Make the ultimate rain coat with a waterproof fabric like ripstop, waxed canvas or Goretex.
45" / 1.14m
0-8 = 3.5yd/3.2m, 8-20 = 4yd/3.75m
58" / 1.5m
0-8 = 2.5yd/2.3m, 8-14 = 3yd/2.75m, 16-20 = 3.5yd/3.2m
- 13 x 1/2”-5/8" (12-15mm) metal snap buttons
- Separating coat zipper with pull on left side (sizes 0-4 = 24” zipper, sizes 6-20 = 26” zipper)
- 1 1/2” yard (1.3m) 5mm drawstring
- Optional: 3 yards of double fold bias tape to finish neckline and coat hem (can be replaced with serged stitch or homemade bias tape)
- Optional: 2 x grommets - size #0 or #1, inside diameter 6-7 mm (can be replaced with machine buttonhole)
- Optional: topstitching thread
- Polyester thread
- Marking tool
- Fitting and FBA
- Sewing a Waterproof Jacket
- How to Install Grommets
- How to Sew Gusseted Pockets
- Assembling the Body
- Sewing Drawstring Casing
- Sewing the Zipper Placket
- Sewing Hood or Collar (Unlined)
- Setting in Sleeves and Cuffs (Unlined)
- Setting in Sleeves (Lined Version)
- Assembling the Body (Lined Version)
- Bagging the Lining
- How to Install Snap Buttons
Related Sewing Tutorials
- Pattern Bonus: Sewing a Waterproof Pocket
- Underlining the Kelly for Warmth
- How to Sew a Zipper Placket
- Sewing Flat Felled Seams
- Bias Bound Seam Finishes
- Interlining with Thinsulate
Pattern Hacks & Inspiration
From the Closet Core Patterns Community
I found it easy to make by following the instructions given. I didn't have to make any adjustments for my size. Whether you are a first time sewer or experienced one you will find it easy to make. I am also going to make a heavier winter jacket and also a winter coat with this pattern.
I made a lined waterproof version of the Kelly Anorak with the collar and an additional detachable hood (I traced the original hood piece and shortened the front flaps. Then I just attached it with snap buttons) The pattern was straight forward to sew, the instructions were clear. The muslin was pretty tight in the back. I intend to use the jacket as an everyday-rainjacket, so I made a broad back adjustment and lengthened the sleeves to have more room to stretch my arms forward.
As usual, a very good quality sewing pattern 😀
This was the first jacket pattern I have made. Pattern was great, instructions clear even for a jacket newbie and fit is perfect. Such a high end feeling finish paired with the lining extension.
Un patron pdf de qualité. Les explications sont claires. Le modèle est vraiment très sympa à coudre. Je me suis régalée.
I did 2 jackets, with the first a fit trial before using my fancy waterproofed soft shell fabric. This was a really great pattern and fit. I used to do mountaineering so I am fussy about size and shape of pockets and hoods and my trial was a complete jacket so I could test these details. I would like to do another using a waxed cotton, but mine was to be a waterproof dog walking jacket. I love the designed pockets, but where I live I have a hat in my pocket all year, a dog lead most of the time and gloves for most of the year, so the bellows type pocket would look a bit 'bulgy'. I didn't use the bellows and added a zip. I added a phone pocket and two zipped interior chest pockets (dog bags & keys). I also added a volume reducer on the hood, more because I have a real thing about close hoods, but I haven't really needed it - the designed hood is great. Great pattern for the jacket and for the lining and the online tutorials, especially the one for a waterproof jacket, were really useful. I had a scrap of end of roll (complete with paper tape stuck to it) of a high end fabric from a scraps bin at a fabric shop with panther cats on it. I used this for the upper part of the lining of my trial jacket. I love those panthers and they make me smile every time I pick up the jacket. I really like the fit and can see another Kelly anorak in the future.
What a great coat pattern! I was so nervous to take this on, but I’m so glad I did. The instructions were really clear. I second-guessed myself a few times, but I was able to check the details on the blog any time I was in a jam. I used the hardware kit from Closet Core, which was amazing.